Πέμπτη 10 Φεβρουαρίου 2011





Συγγραφείς στο Μουσείο
ή 
I AM MARY STUART


"I am Mary Stuart, daughter of Matthew and Jane Douglas, granddaughter of David Douglas and great-granddaughter of Archibald Douglas, 6th Earl of Angus. Through the Earl's marriage to Margaret Tudor, I am distantly related to Elizabeth of England and James VI of Scotland, and for this reason I must marry appropriately.

How heavily that injunction weighs on my heart. My cousin, Lady Arabella Stuart, who some believe will one day inherit the throne, remains unwed at twenty-four because the intrigues of the Cecils and the Seymours thwart her chances of a suitable match. Though she be nine years my senior, people say I resemble her and I know not whether to be sad or glad about the likeness. I have seen her once, and her face is beautiful, but I cannot forget the sorrow of loneliness in her eyes.

At fifteen, I have no wish to be as Arabella or Queen Elizabeth, with my fate determined by my status, yet the process has already begun. These last days of June, 1599, I have stood for a portrait which will be passed from hand to hand until a man I do not Know, and have never seen, finds my looks passable enough to make an offfer. Is it wrong to say I do not wish for such a husband?

I am dressed in dark, heavy clothes, which are deemed proper for a young lady of wealth, but do not become me. Their tightness robs me  of breath, leaving me stiff and unsmilling, and my organ-pipe ruff and cumbersome French hood press my head forward. I look older and more timid than I am and do not recognise myself in this awkward person. How strange it is that my future husband, if he exists at all, will prefer a pale, solemn wife to a laughing girl who dresses brightly and shows her enjoyment.

I am already in dread of him. A man who picks a wife from a parade of canvases will care nothing for her feelings. Once the offer is made, and the dowry exhanged, she will be as one of his horses, a creature only good for mounting. I see him in my mind's eye as old and fat like the Queen's father, King Henry: a tired, extinguished flame, so desirous of an heir, that he must take a child bride to re-ignite his passion.

My heart is indeed heavy, for, were I allowed to choose, I would choose Master Ruccini who paints my portrait. He is young and handsome, and he whispers ti adoro when my nurse falls asleep on her stool. He will be gone when the summer is over, but he depicts me with a honeysuckle blossom in my hand lest I ever forget that a man once loved me for my company, and not for the displays of wealth and seriousness that his portrait seeks to contrive.

I fear loneliness, whether I marry or not."


Φυσικά και δεν είμαι η Μαίρη Στούαρτ -για όσους είδαν τον τίτλο της ανάρτησης και νόμισαν ότι θα έγραφα κάτι αυτοαναφορικό- αλλά θυμήθηκα το κείμενο διαβάζοντας τις αναρτήσεις που γράφηκαν σε άλλα μπλογκς για την ημέρα ενάντια στον φόβο. Εκείνο που διαπίστωσα διαβάζοντάς τες ήταν πως μπορεί ο φόβος να  έχει πολλές αποχρώσεις μα στην ουσία είναι κοινός. Κι εκτός από  αναγκαίος για την επιβίωση αμυντικός μηχανισμός είναι εκείνος που επανέφερε στην επιφάνεια  τον ανθρωπισμό μας. Κι αυτό είναι αρκετά ελπιδοφόρο. Αν κοιτάξετε λίγο παραέξω από τον σκοτεινό θάλαμο όπου αναπτύσσεται μια από τις μικρές πλευρές του εαυτού μας, θα δείτε να γίνονται πράγματα. Θα δείτε, επίσης, μια ιδιαίτερη κίνηση γύρω από την λογοτεχνία.

Όπως στο Σόμερσετ της Βρετανίας όπου αυτή τη στιγμή τρέχει μια πρωτότυπη έκθεση η οποία  συνδυάζει την ζωγραφική και την συγγραφή - όχι τα ίδια τα άτομα που την ασκούν αλλά το έργο τους.  Ο Τζούλιαν Φέλλοους, η Σάρα Σίνγκλετον, η Τζοάννα Τρόλοπ, η Τρέισυ Σεβαλιέ, ο (αγαπημένος) Τζον Μπάνβιλ και ο Τέρρυ Πράτσετ μετά από πρόσκληση της Πινακοθήκης,  επέλεξαν δώδεκα από τις πολλές  προσωπογραφίες  που  βρίσκονται στην συλλογή της και παρατηρώντας τες εμπνεύστηκαν κι έγραψαν από ένα "βιογραφικό" κείμενο για  τον κάθε εικονιζόμενο. Φανταστικές επιστολές, σελίδες ημερολογίων, μίνι βιογραφικά και απομνημονεύματα συνοδεύουν τα παραμελημένα για καιρό πρόσωπα του καμβά και αφηγούνται άλλοτε με τρυφερότητα και άλλοτε με ένταση και υποδόριο ερωτισμό τις ζωές αυτών των άγνωστων ανθρώπων του 16ου και 17ου αιώνων. Η Minette Walters, συγγραφέας βιβλίων αστυνομικής λογοτεχνίας, έγραψε τον πιο πάνω μονόλογο για την προσωπογραφία της υποτιθέμενης Μαίρης Στούαρτ.  Αν έχετε διάθεση, διαβάστε ακόμη τρεις πολύ ιδιαίτερες "ταυτότητες" εδώ.

Τα  δεκατρία κείμενα με τα αντίστοιχα πορτραίτα  βρίσκονται συγκεντρωμένα στην πολύ καλαίσθητη  έκδοση της National Portrait Gallery με τίτλο "Imagined Lives, Mystery Portraits" που συνοδεύει την ομότιτλη έκθεση.

2 σχόλια:

dimitris είπε...

Πολύ ωραίο το κείμενο που παραθέτεις, ιδιαίτερα η τελευταία παράγραφος και η τελευταία φράση.
Ζωγραφίζοντας με λόγια την ατμόσφαιρα μιας ολόκληρης εποχής, τη σύγκρουση ανάμεσα στον εσωτερικό κόσμο και τις κοινωνικές επιταγές.

Sue G. είπε...

Ευχαριστώ, dimitris. Η καταληκτική πρόταση είναι, τελικά, άχρονη και παραμένει η ίδια σε όλες τις εποχές, σύγχρονες ή όχι. Δυστυχώς...